March 31

The Last Two Weeks In Review

Dear Students,

Today’s test was NOT an April’s Fool Joke.  All of the skills you were asked to preform on the test ARE skills you have been taught this year (many specifically over the last two weeks) and skills you WILL be expected to preform to pass your ECA for Eng. 10.

1. Paraphrasing tell me what the 5 main ideas are in the following lines from Beowulf.

Nothing, their dreams undisturbed. The monster’s

Thought were as quick as his greed or his claws:

He slipped through through the door and there in the silence

Snatched up thirty men, smashed them

Unknowing in their beds and ran out with their bodies,

The blood dripping behind him, back

To his lair, delighted with his night’s slaughter.

Correct Answer – Number one, Grendel thinks, moves, and kills quickly. Secondly, his victims are asleep, peaceful and unaware of their danger. The third main idea is that Grendel kills and then carries their bodies back to his lair. Fourthly, the bodies are bloody. And finally, killing makes Grendel happy.

2. In the following lines from Beowulf how does the poem establish that the coming battle is not just a battle between the hero and a monster, but a battle between good and evil?

In Herot, when the night hid him, he never

Dared to touch King Hrothgar’s glorious

Throne, protected by God – God,

Whose love Grendel could not know. But Hrothgar’s

Correct Answer – Hrothgar’s throne is untouched because it is protected by God, who is unknown by Grendel.

3. What advantage does Beowulf have in his fight with Grendel?

A. God’s protection. Beowulf fights for good and Grendel fights for evil.
B. Superior strength, Grendel is moved to fear at the hardness of Beowulf’s hands.
C. Superior intellect, Grendel is driven by animal instincts and can not think as quickly as Beowulf.
D.   Superior speed, Grendel is powerful but can not move as quickly as Beowulf.
4. What does Beowulf do after slaying Grendel’s mother?  Be sure to include in your response what two things Beowulf takes with him.
Correct Answer – After slaying Grendel’s mother, Beowulf beheads Grendel, takes Grendel’s head and the hilt of the giants’ sword, and swims to land.
5, Compare and Contrast: What characteristics do the dragon and Grendel have in common?
   (This is a compare and contrast question, not the : (colon) after the word Contrast. You are expected to both compare and contrast the characteristics that the dragon and Grendel have in common.
Correct Answer – The dragon, like Grendel, is huge, has fearsome claws, and lives in a dark lair.  The dragon is a reptile and walks on four legs, while Grendel is described in terms that sound more like a mammal (he has hair). Also, Grendel walks on two legs and has arms and hands. 
6. What is Beowulf’s last request? Be sure to include in your response who Beowulf is making the request to.
Correct Answer – Beowulf’s last request is for Wiglaf to lead his people and to erect a tower in Beowulf’s name. 
7. In the following lines from Beowulf, which is an example of an appositive?
(Remember our lesson on Tuesday – an appositive is a noun or a pronoun placed next to another noun or pronoun to identify or explain it.  There for the key is looking for nouns or pronouns and can not be any of the answers that does not use a second noun or pronoun to further define the first).
Just like “Beowulf, Higlac’s follower”  A noun to further name the first noun.
8 – 12 were simple recall information directly from your notes.
13. Pick one of the 12 stages (not simple one of the four parts) of The Hero’s Journey and provide a detailed description of how that stage is represented in the epic poem, Beowulf. Make sure that you provide specific details explaining why the part of the poem you have selected is a strong example of the stage you are matching it to.  This is a writing assignment so make sure your proofread your work prior to submitting your final response.
I reiterated to everyone that this was an essay question. Just like the essay questions you have been writing all year and will have to write on you ECA,  essays require an introduction (with a hook, the name of the poem, and a thesis statement), a body paragraph (with a topic sentence and supporting details), and a conclusion. To make it even easier, this essay question could have been easily copied directly from the homework assignment on Monday asking you to do the exact same thing.
     I realize that many of you honestly believe that I am asking too much of you. I don’t know what to do about that other than try to break it down a different way for you:
  1. We only read a small excerpt of Beowulf.
  2. It was not difficult reading. The portions we read are listed as being at an average accessibility level for your school grade and reading expectations.
  3. We read a good portion of the excerpt out loud together in class.
  4. You took notes over every skill and each of the vocabulary words on the test.
  5. We have worked on essay development all year long.

I really do not know what else I could possibly have done to help you better prepare for this test. Primary based on the number of students who openly chose not to do the homework or the reading itself, there will be NO second chance retakes of this test.  My suggestion would be to read what is assigned, do what ever learning activities or homework is suggested to help you understand the concepts and ideas, study your notes and the material prior to the next test, and come to me during AL or make an appointment to have me help you before or after school if you still don’t quite understand something that you know you are going to be tested on.

Homework for Friday April 1stHomework: Finish reading “from the Iliad” and use complete sentences to answer the following questions:

1. What does the Prologue to Gilgamesh suggest about the duties of a Sumerian King?
  2. What does Hektor ask of Achilleus after he is mortally wounded?
  3. What conclusions about the values of ancient Greece can you draw from the request Hektor made of Achilleus and Achilleus’ response?
  4. Compare and Contrast a modern leader with Gilgamesh, Achilleus, and Beowulf. Consider both their deeds and their actions.

Posted March 31, 2016 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.