April 12

Week 5 Student Blogging Challenge

All About Quotes

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.

~Dr. Seuss

Have you ever tried adding a quote to your blog post? A quote is simply where you write someone else’s words.

You might use quotes from:

• well known people
  • books or movies
  • other bloggers
  • your teachers or friends

Reasons To Use Quotes:

• You can back up your thoughts and make your writing more credible (that means true or believable).
  • The readers of your posts can get new ideas by hearing from others.
  • A quote can be an interesting way to start or end your blog post.
  • You can learn a lot from researching quotes.

How Do You Put A Quote In Your Post?

You can just type your quote into a post and put it in quotation marks, but to really make it stand out and break up your text, try blockquotes.

Using blockquotes is easy. Below are the instructions for Edublogs.

When you’re in your visual editor:

• type the quote
  • highlight the words in your quote
  • click on the quotation mark icon

It will then display like this…

You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. ~A.A. Milne

Note: The way the blockquotes display depends on your theme.

Where Can You Find Quotes?

You might already have some favorite quotes stored in your memory.

You might do a Google search for articles on your topic and find quotes from others.

You might browse your favorite blogs or books for quotes.

There are some online collection of quotes such as GoodReads Quotes and LitQuotes (Note: these aren’t designed for children so we recommend only teachers or older students use these sorts of sites).

Using Quotes The RIGHT way

We know we can’t just take images that we find online, and we certainly can’t copy others’ writing and publish it as our own. So, many people might wonder about using quotes.

It’s fine to use quotes from others but there are a few things to be aware of:

• Make it obvious which words are your own, and which words belong to someone else (you do this by using quotation marks or block quotes).
  • Make your quotes brief. Perhaps a few sentences. Never copy the whole post.
  • Always include the person’s name (also link to their site, article, or book if you can).
  • If you’re using blockquotes, the attribution could be before the quote, inside it, or below it.
  • If you shorten a quote, use an ellipsis (…) in place of the missing words.
  • If you’re adding any words or corrections to the quote, use brackets.

Your Weekly Activity

Now you know a little about the how and why of using quotes, it’s time to get creative! This week we are back to one activity for each class period – however, everyone in the class must be included in the activity for the class to get any credit. Each class period will:

Make a post full of quotes

Create a blog post that is a compilation of quotes.

Quote other students

Interview the students in your class period and include their quotes in a blog post. This is where you provide evidence that everyone in your class period has been involved.

You could choose a specific topic to interview students about.

For example:

• most important advice to upcoming seniors
  • a special thank you to a favorite teacher
  • something you always wanted to say to a fellow student
  • favorite things to do at lunchtime
  • best places to play around your town
  • reasons why your school is great

Make Your Quotes Visual

One or more of the quotes on this week’s challenge post must be a visual quote or the whole post can be a compilation of visual quotes.

There are many ways to add quotes to an image. You can do this offline using a program like PowerPoint, Keynote or Paint.

There are also many online tools for turning your quote into an image. Some of these include:

Don’t forget to add the image you create to your blog post.

Each class period must have their completed post sent to Mrs. Scales by the end of their class period next Friday – April 20th.

Posted April 12, 2018 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.