March 16

Pop Quiz Review / Mandatory Reading

Review the following information, and look at the correct Pop Quiz responses.

All class lectures as well as discussions and vocabulary builder words must be included in your notes. The purpose of taking class note, regardless of the form you take them in, is to develop or improve the quality or substance of your understanding of the material or lesson being taught in class.  Your notes should help you extend or elaborate upon the idea or material taught in order to give it greater significance, meaning, understanding, complexity or strength to the material.

IMG_1999 IMG_2002

“Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell are two of the most prominent explorers of the psychoanalytical and mythological origins for human and social behavior. ”

Excerpt From: “The Hero’s Journey.” iBooks.

“ Carl Jung expanded the work of Sigmund Freud and the unconscious mind to emphasize the mythological forces working within the individual to shape his or her personality. Jung formed the concept of archetype and collective unconscious to explain the commonality of dream images and situations found in all people. ”

“Joseph Campbell built on Carl Jung’s concept of the collective unconscious to encompass all the world’s mythologies. Campbell studied the world’s religions, art, and stories and discovered common threads throughout all, including the hero. Campbell believed that mythology is the collective “dream” of mankind, the “song of the universe.”

Eng. 10 Pop Quiz

1.Explain what it means to develop something. Be sure to use at least two of the specific words used during Monday’s lesson.

To receive all 6 points you must have given an explanation and used two of the three words from the “cloud with a silver lining” notes from Monday.

Example of acceptable answer: Developing something means to shed more light on it and elaborate on the subject and to formulate ideas or concepts.

2.Which of the following men first applied the term archetype to literature?

Carl Jung

3.Which of the following men, studied the religions, art, and myths from around the world and named the hero’s journey the monomyth?

Joseph Campbell

4.All of the following, EXCEPT which, are parts of The Hero’s Journey?

Apotheosis is the last stage, not one of the four parts.

Honors Eng. 10 Pop Quiz

1.Explain what it means to develop something. Be sure to use at least two of the specific words used during Monday’s lesson. (6 Points)

2. The Hero’s Journey is an archetypal story pattern that we have defined as having ___ parts, and ____ stages. (2 Points)

4 parts, 12 stages

3.All of the following, EXCEPT which, are parts of The Hero’s Journey? (2 Points)

4.Explain who Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell were and what each has to do with the idea of The Hero’s Journey.(6 Points)
To receive all 6 points you must have differentiated that Carl Jung was a psychiatrist who studied the human mind to compare dreams and created the concept of archetypes, whereas Joseph Campbell was a mythologist who built on Jung’s ideas to create the monomyth concept. You must also have linked the archetype and the monomyth as components of The Hero’s Journey.
Example of acceptable answer: Carl Jung was a psychiatrist whom compared dreams and ideas of different cultures and discovered to idea of archetypes. Joseph Campbell studied myths, art, religions, and stories from cultures all around the world to built from Jung’s ideas and created the monomyth of the Hero’s Journey.
Now that you have reviewed the correct level of attention to detail that is required of you, please read the following review of your responsibility at this level of your education. Again, all of this information can be found in the class syllabus, previous lessons, past blog posts, and or your text books for English 10.
It is your responsibility to come to class prepared everyday. This included having already read the blog, gotten copies of the notes or any other material you need prior to the start of your class.  If something didn’t work on your iPad the day before, get a pass from me to get it taken care of prior to your class start time the next day. We have to move on wether you attended class or not. There is a lesson plan and things that need to be covered everyday in class, so you don’t get to slow down the class by taking class time to get caught up. You are welcome to come see me between classes or during AL if you need a pass or need additional help.
If it has been posted on the blog, provided to you in the form of a handout or text, or discussed in class you are responsible for knowing that information. Saying, “I wasn’t here” “I never read that” “It’s just easier to wait and ask you” or “I didn’t know” concerning anything already provided to you is not an acceptable nor grade appropriate response. Be your own problem solver, use critical thinking skills and figure out how to find the information prior to your next class.
There are never any games to be played on your iPad during my class. Eng.10 is all about reading, writing, listening, and speaking so you are never finished, there is always something else you can be reading.  For approximately 50 minutes everyday I expect you to focus and be engaged with language arts development tasks and activities.

We are in the final grading period of the school year. You have several mandatory tests that you will be taking over the next couple of months. There is no time left to waste on trying to find a way to get out of what is expected of you in class.  We are to the point that your learning truly is your responsibility. You must pay attention to details, patterns, and the critical thinking opportunities provided to you. It’s your grade; it’s your future.

Posted March 16, 2016 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.