February 1

Essential Academic Words

Today we tied together four of our Essential Academic Words with our study of The Great Gatsby. The following image was posted on the blog with the following directions:

iceburge

Today’s exit ticket is to leave a comment in which you Describe the image above,  Explain how this applies to The Great Gatsby and, Determine why you prefer one (the book, the movie) over the other. Be sure you Organize your thoughts in your comment. 

In class we reviewed the precise meaning of each word:

Describe – to report what one observes (sees) or does by illustrating, reporting or representing what is seen. For this example, that means looking at the image and telling us what is seen or observed.

Explain – providing reasons or interpretations for what or of what has been observed by clarifying, demonstrating, or discussing the meaning of (the why, what, or how). For this example, what does the image mean.

Determine – to make a decision or arrive at a conclusion after considering all possible options, perspectives, or results. This may include establishing, identifying, or defining. For this example, which do you personally prefer movies or books.

Even after making these distinctions about what you were being asked to do as an exit ticket, everyone did not get all of their points.  This is important because specifically determining what a test question is asking for will result in how accurate your response is.

You have another exit ticket for Tuesday – To make up any points you lost on Monday’s exit ticket, review your score and comment from Monday’s exit ticket. If you did not score full credit (10 points) leave a comment today that explains specifically what steps you missed in your response from yesterday.  For example, if you only received 3 points you only answered 1/3 of the required comment. You may have jumped right into determining whether you like movies or books best.  If you received 7 points you missed one of the three requirements. You may have explained the image and determined which you prefer but not described the image. Leave a comment on this post fully explaining what you missed in your first response.

Posted February 1, 2016 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.

16 thoughts on “Essential Academic Words

1. Nick Armstrong

I missed the step determine. If I were to have to determine if I liked the book or the movie better I would say the book because it goes more into detail.

Reply
  2. Clint Priddy

The image is an iceberg that is mostly under water, the image to me shows that the book goes deeper with the setting then the movie does. I prefer the movie over the book, because I don’t like to read that much, but that being said I like details. So I would prefer the book. This applies to the great Gatsby because I’ve seen the movie and the book has so much more than what the movie has.

Reply
  3. Noah

As the picture above it reminds me of Gatsby and Daisy and the green light. You see the ice berg you see the ice berg explains how so far Gatsby is to get Daisy and so far a part they are but all Gatsby can see is the end of the ice berg and that’s the green light. This here is a Discription and Explan. My thought about the book and the movie is that if your confused about the book and the faces watch the movie it will help. The book is good as well just as good as the movie but when you watch the movie or if you see the movie don’t stop reading and thinking that the movie will help pass tests because the book dose have more info then the movie it’s self. There is a determine.

Reply
  4. Sheyanne

The bottom part of the image means that more people choose books over movies. The top part of the image means that less people pick the movies over the book. I prefer movies over books. I missed describe, and explain yesterday. I only did determine.

Reply
  5. Amaya Smith

I missed explaining what the actual picutre was. The picture is an iceberg in the water. The big part under water is representing the book and the little part above the water is the movie. To show a metaphor of the book and the movie

Reply
  6. Danica Fultz

I missed explaining. The picture is a iceberg that is almost completely underwater. There is a little bit of the iceberg on top of the water but the majority of the iceberg is under the water. This picture is showing us that a book gives us more detail then a movie does.

Reply
  7. Harmony

The image is a iceberg in the water mostly in the water. The big part under water is for the book and the little part above the water is the movie. I prefer books over movies because it goes way more into it then a book would. This applies to The Great Gatsby because I seen bits and pieces of the movie and the book is way better.

Reply
  8. Lindsey Peterson

All I did was determine and just state my outlook on which is better, boos or movies. I didn’t describe what the picture meant or throughly explain why I liked books more than movies. Therefore I couldn’t properly organize it because I only included one of the three main points I needed to cover.

Reply
  9. Taylor Brown

A book is better then a film for 2 reasons. A book can take as long as it wants to tell a story while a movie can only take an hour and a half to two hours. The second reason is a book is able to tell many details about the characters while a movie only tells about the main characters. I would rather watch a move then read a book. I like movies better because there is ,ore action in a movie than there is in a book.

Reply
  10. Hayven

I missed explaining the picture of the iceberg. The picture of the iceberg is mostly under the weather and only a small part is sticking above. The large under water part represents the book and the small above the water part represents the movie.

Reply
  11. Taylor Brown

A book is better then a film for 2 reasons. A book can take as long as it wants to tell a story while a movie can only take an hour and a half to two hours. The second reason is a book is able to tell many details about the characters while a movie only tells about the main characters. I would rather watch a move then read a book. I like movies better because there is more action in a movie than there is in a book.

Reply
  12. Sean

What I missed was the explanation of how the picture represents The Great Gatsby. This photo of the ice berg represents both the book and the movie. The movie is represented by the top, smaller portion of the iceberg, showing us that the movie was a shorter less detailed version of the book. The bottom, much larger portion of the iceberg in the photo above represents the book itself, showing us that the book is more detailed and more exciting with all the little bits and pieces of certain situations that the movie might have left out.

Reply
  13. Casey Dragoo

I didn’t describe the image. I think the image says a lot about what the book is going to be about. You can just tell that its going to beryllium about an iceberg and what happens with that iceberg.

Reply
  14. Hannah Buchanan

I missed the step to determine. I prefer books over movies because books have so much more detail and explain the book a lot better. I get more information when I read book rather than watching the movie, because the movie leaves out important information.

Reply