October 6

Day 40 – Eng. 10

Write the World

PASSION PROJECTS PRE-WRITING

FIVE LINES OF FIRE

PERSUASIVE — In FIVE lines or less, convince your readers to care about an issue of concern to you.

Full Prompt Description

Full Details
Write the World’s October competition—Environmental Writing—As well as the kick off to our second grading period research report and Project for Awesome videos are right around the corner, and we’re inviting you to jump into the fray with FIVE LINES OF FIRE. Here’s how:

1. Bring to mind an story/issue/idea relating to the environment, or a social issue that you feel strongly about. It should be something that you care about deeply—anything from child abuse, teen apathy, hunger, world-wide women’s rights, human trafficking, the island of plastic in the Pacific Ocean, to the illegal ivory trade, to the smog in New Delhi.
  2. In FIVE lines or less, convince your readers to care! Explain what the issue is and why it’s important—to you, or your community, or your country, or humanity…
  3. Come up with a catchy title.
  4. Read over your work and make any changes—make it as fiery as possible!
  5. Hit “Publish” and send ripples through the WtW community, and beyond.

WtW’s Laura has lit the match with her fantastic piece “Grass Roots Change.” Check it out, and then light your own.

This is a great way to begin the pre-writing and brain storming about what you are passionate about to do your research on for the second grading period.

A Note on Persuasion:
There are different ways to stir your readers into caring. Some might be convinced by hard facts and statistics. Others might be persuaded by an emotional anecdote, or a story from your own life. Here are some different strategies to consider as you craft your five lines of fire:

• Personal Experience: Desscribe an experience from your own life.
  • Expert Opinion: Draw on the opinion of an expert—someone trained in a particular area, or someone who has relevant personal experience.
  • Example: Provide an example that supports a larger idea or pattern.
  • Analogy: Compare the situation to another similar situation.
  • Facts and Statistics: Incorporate facts or numbers to prove your idea.
  • Logic: Use reasoning or theory to argue your point.
  • Emotion: Make an emotional appeal to the reader.

Anyone wanting to earn a few points of extra credit may do so by completing any of the Write the World prompts not assigned in Mrs. Scales’ Room Writing Group.

Don’t forget that anyone wishing to have their Oct. Monthly paper graded for this grading period, must have it turned in through Turnitin by tomorrow Oct. 7.

Posted October 6, 2015 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.