March 30

Poet Posters

Each group began their posters today in class. Along with working on the posters, each group had to start their planning sheet. Everyone was given the following information about how the group will be graded.

Poet Poster
Poet’s Full Name 10
Dates Lived 5
Symbols or Graphics 25
Artistic Appeal 10
___
50

Finished Poet Posters are due on Thursday. 5 points will be deducted for each day the poster is late.

Mrs. Scales explained that when we did our mythology projects we could just go to the internet and look up our God or Goddess and find lists of the symbols associated with that God or Goddess. Finding the symbols or graphics to use on our Poet posters will not be like that. There is no right or wrong answer but rather we have to pick symbols for our poets based on what we have learned about that poet and the poems we have selected to present.

Knowing your poet: Along with constructing a well-planned and nice looking poster to represent your poet, you must learn enough interesting facts and details about your poet to teach the rest of the class during your daily presentations. Each day you will introduce your group, the poet and specific poem you are presenting and one interesting fact or detail about that poet or poem. Everyone in your group will earn the same grade (unless otherwise discussed with Mrs. Scales). Your points will be earned each day in the following manner:

Introduction of team 2
Introduction of poet 3
Introduction of poem 3
Explanation of one interesting fact/detail 5
Quality of daily presentation 7
___
20

You will be writing an individual essay on the five poets presented during Poetry Island. Your essay will be graded on writing as well as your ability to show what you have learned about each poet during the week. Knowing that should encourage you to take notes each day about each poet.

Posted March 30, 2010 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.