January 11

Using Available Resources

Today’s primary lesson centered around using available resources. Many of the students did not get all of their points on the daily language workout sentences from last week or the review paragraph we did in class today even though the correct answers were available in the flip charts or the text books. Every grammar rule demonstrated in the daily sentences and the weekly paragraphs are basic rules and can be found in the resources provided for the student’s use. One of the sentences last week ask the student to decide whether the word south when used as a direction should be capitalized. I pointed out that the correct rule could be found on the yellow flip chart under #44. Still when the same error appeared in today’s paragraph review, several students didn’t bother to get up and look up the rule. We will keep working on these basic grammar rules and points will be lost if students do not use the tools provided for them.

Today’s DLW sentence is:

greenland, the most large island in the world, administered by denmark.

The errors can be found in the form of a Sentence Fragment, Capitalization, and an Adjective (Comparative/Superlative) problem.

The root words we covered today were:

Dict – speak, say (dictate, contradict, dialect)
Contra, Counter – against, opposite (contradict, counterfeit, counterclockwise)

We reviewed through Chapter 7 of Treasure Island and checked study guides. We also looked at our reading toolkits and have a prediction worksheet to do as homework. Crews also received 5 points for every boxtop they had in their treasure chests today. Way to go crews! Lots of booty going down in those ledgers.

Tomorrow is a Writing Workshop day and everyone needs to have their Anchor Piece with 20 highlighted words to work on.

Oh, I almost forgot, anyone still not putting the correctly formatted header on their assignments has to write their header 50 times and turn them into Mrs. Scales. What a waste of time. I mean really, wouldn’t it be a lot easier to check the header before turning in your paper than having to write the same old thing 50 times.

Posted January 11, 2010 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.

2 thoughts on “Using Available Resources

1. Taylor

I love this blog and it helps so much, you are such a great teacher. 🙂 And Teens i think are getting lazy, because those DLW are give me point, and I think I am liking Treasure Islnad! 🙂

Reply