April 17

MLA Works Cited

Learning how to find the required information for your MLA citations can be tricky. Today we are looking at two of the sources I provided for you during this unit. Because I provided the sources for you, it would be almost impossible for you to know or even find this information on your own. So here we go, let’s work through this information together.

We read the book (novella) The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. However, you did not receive a printed copy of the book. We worked with an online copy that came from the Project Gutenberg online database. Therefore our citation on the works cited page will look a little different. Anytime you cite a book with one author you will use the following combination of information.

Books:

References to an entire book should include the following elements:

• author(s) or editor(s)
  • the complete title
  • edition, if indicated
  • place of publication
  • the shortened name of the publisher
  • date of publication
  • medium of publication

Basic Format

Lastname, Firstname. Title of Book. Place of Publication: Publisher, Year of Publication. Medium of Publication.

Kafka, Franz. The Metamorphosis. Urbana, Illinois: Project Gutenberg, 2002. Web. 

Book Chapters (especially those in the public domain) may be found in online databases. Information about the publisher of a book can often be found in the description of the chapter in the database. Author and publisher information may be omitted from your citation if it is not available.

Ovid. “The Transformation of Arachne into a Spider,” Metamorphoses. CommonLit, 2014. Web.

So today everyone should have added the Works Cited page to their essay file. We will continue with the editing (or correcting and fixing ) stage of the writing process this week. Each day you will have a different subject or skill to work on and by Friday your essay should be fully edited and ready to resubmit for the editing grade.

Posted April 17, 2017 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.