February 14

Post Reading Questions 1 – 4

Today we read paragraphs paragraphs 31 – 45 of The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka in class. Again, students were instructed to annotate the text as they read to identify all unknown words and important or significant details in the text.  We reviewed the first four questions from the Section II Post-Reading Questions. We talked about the analysis of character traits for both Grete and Mr. Samsa.

1.What differences does Gregor notice about his body and appetites? What is significant about these differences?

Gregor begins to  “learn the value” of his antennae which he uses to feel his way around in the dark. He also does not enjoy his favorite meal and feels uneasy in his tall room. He would rather eat garbage and crawl under the couch. Gregor also notices that his body has healed faster than he anticipated.

2. What conclusion does Gregor come to after his first night under the couch?

Gregor concludes that he needs to remain calm and patient. His main worry is for that of his family and how he can make his transformation bearable for them.

3. Describe Gregor’s sister, Grete. What conflicting emotions does she seem to have?

Grete is the only family member who takes care of Gregor. She brings him sweet milk and bread, buts he removes his bowl“ using a rag, not her bare hands. ”She brings him other things to eat, but does not stay in the same room with him. This indicates that she cares for her brother still but is some what repulsed by him.

4. What does Gregor’s father reveal about the family’s financial status? What is significant about the truth?How does Gregor react?

Mr. Samsa reveals that there was some money left from his old, failed business that has been collecting interest. He also reveals that they have not used all of the money that Gregor has been providing each month. Gregor notices that this extra money could have been used to“ reduce his father’s debt to his boss” and get him out of his hated job sooner, but he is grateful that the savings are there instead of angry. Gregor is ashamed that his family members may have to get jobs to support themselves when he has been the sole provider.

Tomorrow we will be writing character analysis for both Grete and Mr. Samsa. Prepare for that by picking which word best applies to what you have learned from today’s reading about each character.

Posted February 14, 2017 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.