IMPORTANT UPDATE -Due to a snow day in the middle of the week, and our enthralling discussion of Poe, we will extend the due date for Week 3 of the Student Blogging Challenge to the first week back from Spring Break. The new due date is Friday, April 6th.
Yes, this week we deal with using images, videos, music and sounds in your posts.
But can’t I use any image, music or sound that is on the internet?
No, you must use creative commons, public domain or in some cases the fair use rule.
But where can I find these images, music and sounds? Can’t I use anything when I google an image?
No, your blog is public so you must use creative commons images, sounds, music and videos.
Sue Waters over at Edublogs has created a student blogging bootcamp with lots of interesting posts. Check these out (mainly Edublogs but many also relate to other platforms.) Other posts found here for Blogger blogs.
- Adding your own images or images you have created from apps
- copyright and creative commons images
- Adding videos
Other places to find information on creative commons
- Head to the creative commons website.
- Check out the CC wiki to find out what is happening in your country. What are the different licenses used?
- Teachers check out the education section of creative commons.
- Youtube allows creative commons for videos.
- Teachers: A fantastic guide to copyright, fair use and creative commons has been written by Ronnie Burt and I would suggest you read this to understand more about using images, music and video on your blogs. Also includes what might happen if you use an image etc incorrectly.
- Teachers: Post by Kathleen Morris about using images in blogs
- Larry Ferlazzo also has a great “Best List for images” that you might want to check out as well.
- Open Clip Art
- Compfight website if you don’t have the plugin in your blog
- The Commons on flickr
- Wikimedia Commons
- Getty Search gateway
Make sure you check out the links in the Tools to Use symbaloo above the header
Check out Sue Water’s post from the student blogging bootcamp where she shows how to create and upload your own videos as well as where to find videos and how to embed on your blog posts.
Music and sound effects
This week’s activities for WHS Eng. 12 classes:
Activity 1. Take a photo or find an image or piece of music. Add it to your post (with attribution) and write a poem relating to the image or music. Invite your readers to write their own poems. Here is Fernando’s example, Samantha is confused
Activity 2. Similar to activity 1. Take a photo or find an interesting landscape image (include attribution) or create the beginning of a video. Write the beginning of a story relating to your image or video. Remember to include a conflict of some sort between your characters. Invite your readers to finish the story. How many different endings can you get? Which ending do you prefer? You might need to visit some other bloggers and invite them to finish your story. Remember to leave the URL of your post for them to click on.
Each class must pick one activity, either activity 1 or activity 2 and have the work ready to upload by Friday, April 6th.
Most important learning from this week’s challenge is:
Use creative commons images or public domain, not just any image on the net. Always include attribution of where you found the image. Compfight plugin does this for you.
Week 2 Blogging Challenge Class Places:
Running Totals after 2 weeks of competition:
1st period 4 pts.
4th period 4 pts.
6th period 4 pts.