October 31

How are you a connected teacher?

How are you a connected teacher?

I received this a while back and it seemed to be a good response to that recent question.

“Mrs. Scales, I want to encourage you to continue using every opportunity to bring the global community into your high school classroom and model a writing lifestyle for your students.  After recently reading your iBook about your trip to Nepal and the importance of story in all of our lives, I wish my daughters had experienced an English teacher that actively lived and modeled such a global experience in reading and writing during their high school experiences.  It was not until college that either of them truly experienced teachers or professors who had such a passion for their subject and the exposure of their students to a sense of appreciation to the culturally diverse global community in which they are living.   Please keep teaching and writing.”                       Book review comment posted on 7/13/14

If you haven’t already done so, please take the time to download  

Namaste to Kamlaris: One Teacher’s Story

Telling Our Stories, Living Our Lives

(AppleID: 849244494) is now available on iBooks.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/namaste-to-kamlaris-one-teachers/id849244494?mt=11

Two organizations to support teacher professional development are very much responsible for this story: Indiana Writing Project a part of the National Writing Project, and The Lilly Foundation Teacher Creativity Fellowship Grant program.  Without either of these wonderful organizations this story might not have been told. 
It is to Michael Hess, Volunteer Nepal and Nepal Orphans Home that I lovingly dedicate this story and any proceeds made from it to.

This book is a free iBook and can be downloaded from the iTunes store.  Please consider making a donation of any amount possible (maybe the amount you would have felt comfortable paying for the book) to help continue the work being done in Nepal:

http://www.nepalorphanshome.org/donate

Donate by Mail
 If you prefer to make your donation by check, please send to:
 Nepal Orphans Home, Inc
 PO Box 1254
 Davidson, NC 28036

You can now get a PDF of Namaste to Kamlaris at http://my.bookbaby.com/book/namaste-to-kamlaris-one-teachers-story The PDF lacks the incredible galleries of photo’s available in the iBook version.

Local teacher brings a bit of Nepal back into her English 10 classroom after traveling on the Lilly Foundation Teacher Creativity Fellowship Grant.  Mrs. Scales, a Teacher Consultant with the Indiana Writing Project and one of the local grant recipients for the 2013 prestigious Lilly Foundation Teacher Creativity Fellowship Grant teaches at Wapahani High School. Her English 10 students have been challenged to research a local or global issue that they can get passionate about and answer the question, “What can one person do?” Using the founder of Nepal Orphan’s Home, Michael Hess as an example coupled with her own experience discovering the desperate conditions of female child slaves known as Kamlari in Nepal, Mrs. Scales has pulled together the writing instruction championed by the National Writing Project and her challenging experiences in an impoverished country to engage local students in issues of social concern that they too can do something about.

From these in class lessons one student has started a local chapter of the Glamour Girls organization to allow high school students to regularly volunteer in nursing homes. She is showing what one person can do on a local issue of concern; the loneliness of our elderly.

Posted October 31, 2014 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.