February 3

Writing Workshop Day – Israel Hands’ Resume

Mrs. Scales announced that Savannah, Jordan B., Haleigh, Ryan R. and Jesse would be the 7th grade spellers for this year’s spelling bee to be held next Monday, February 8th during 6th period in Mrs. Milliner’s room.

Scholastic book orders were passed out and are due next Friday, February 12th.

There is a chat set up on moodle for anyone who has turned in their assignments. There is also a choice listing six book available for the next literary circles. Everyone needs to go to moodle and make a selection by early next week for the book they want to read next.

We worked on what information should go into each section of the resume we are to write on Israel Hands:
Objective – What kind of job is he looking for?
Education – training or schools
Experience – specific jobs he has had in the past
Qualifications – What makes him able to do the job he is looking for?
References – Who can verify his capabilities?

Resumes and Storyboard assignments are due at the start of class tomorrow.

Our root words for today were:
ROOT WORD CARD #55 DIS, DI, DE, DIF—apart, away, down

These ROOT-WORDs are the Prefix DIS, DI, DE, and DIF which means APART, AWAY, DOWN It is different from other ROOT-WORDS which have similar meanings. DIS carries with it a sense of failure; you had something and lost it. A soldier who played the violin and lost a couple of fingers was DISabled. A man who cheated and lost his credit became DIScredited. See? If you learn the ROOT-WORDS you will not be DEpendent upon a dictionary. You will be inDEpendentl.

1. Disarm : DIS arm (dis arm’) v. To take away a weapon; leave defenseless
2. Dichotomy: DI chotomy (die kot’ o me) n. A separation into two parts
3. Divorce: DI vorce (di vors’) n. Separation, one from the other

4. Divulsion: DI vulsion (die vul’ shun) n. A tearing apart
5. Debark : DE bark (do bark’) v. To get off a ship; as, the soldiers must debark at night

6. Debus : DE bus (de bus’) v. To get off a bus

7. Deplane : DE plane (dee plane’) v. To get off an airplane

8. Debunk : DE bunk (dee bunk’) v. To expose as false; talk truth

9. Disagree : DIS agree (dis a gree’) v. Not to have the same opinion

10. Disaster : DIS aster (diz as’ ter) n. A mishap; absence of your lucky star

11. Disabled : DIS abled (dis ay’ b’ld) adj. To be deprived of use, as by an injury

12. Disadvantages : DIS advantage (dis ay’ b’ld) adj. A loss; a detriment; a handicap

13. Disbar : DIS bar (dis bar’) v. To keep away; as, to disbar a layer

Posted February 3, 2010 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.