January 5

The Treasure Hunt

Today marked the beginning of our Treasure Island unit. After doing the regular daily routine:

Root Word – Onym which means name or word. Normally used as a suffix such as in the following example words, homonym, geonym and mononym.

Daily Language Workout sentence – Both the countries of guatemala and belize border mexico they are too the South. With the hints, Capitalization, Using the Right Word and Semicolon.

we embarked on a treasure hunt through the school. Each crew was lead by their captain who had seen the secret map. Several crews made it through the entire island, finding all five treasures and the placket. Booty was tallied up in our crew ledgers and everyone received their own copy of the Robert Louis Stevenson classic, Treasure Island which we will begin reading as a class tomorrow.

Mrs. Scales reminded everyone of all the resources available to in the classroom to check their DLW sentences prior to turning them in on Friday. Because the sentence errors are all covered by basic grammar rules that all 7th graders should know and understand, there is no reason for anyone to get less than 100% on these weekly assignments. All you have to do is look up the grammar rule for anything you are not sure of.

We were also reminded that everyone must have chosen their Anchor Piece and have one copy with an updated header put into the page protector in their English Binder and one copy with 20 words highlighted in yellow by the beginning of class tomorrow.

Posted January 5, 2010 by mrsscales207 in category Language Arts

About the Author

My life has taken many paths. I grew up in Farmland, Indiana and graduated from Monroe Central High School in 1979. Yes I know that seems like a long time ago to most of you. After I graduated from High School, I went into the U. S. Navy. Not a lot of women enlisted in the Navy back then. Boot camp was still segregated (that means there were only women in my boot camp) and yes, boot camp is as bad as they say it is. I survived though and began seeing a little more of the world than just our lovely corn and soy bean fields of Indiana. I was an advanced avionics technician and worked on F14 Tomcat jets in the Navy. Back then women couldn't go on ships but I was stationed in Bermuda for a little over a year. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I married my husband while in the Navy and we eventually moved to Minnesota.